Friday, February 18, 2011

My little infected monster (MCO has Roseola)

Yes, MCO has it.  And I feel like I have infected all of the state.  Last weekend she had a very high temp (104.3).  She woke up in the middle of the night (or could have been early morning...I was too tired at the time) and was so hot to the touch.  It was like she was burning me.  I gave her some meds and got her down to her diaper.  Could this be the result of teething?  Where was this coming from?  She was find just a little bit ago.  I scrambled to find the thermometer in the dark so I could find out how high this thing was.  Half way through taking her temp the battery died.  Awesome!  I waited forever (45 min feels like forever with a sick little one) to see if the meds would bring it down.  She was still in her diaper and nothing seemed to work.  I packed her up to make the dreaded ER trip.  By the time I got there she had started to cool off.  It was 2:30 a.m. and I did not want to get back into bed after 5:30 only to have buggy up and ready for school at 7.  So we headed home.  On the way I bought a new thermometer.  Since I have my new van with tons of room, I took her temp in the parking lot of the store.  Down to 101.3.  Great!  This next day would be a rough one.

Her temp was up and down for the next 2 days.  After not being able to control it anymore we made a trip to the ER on Valentines day before any of us ate dinner.  Even the meds they gave us in the ER check in didn't seem to help much.  Temp was still in the 104's.  They ran a flu test and took some urine.  (That was one of the most horrible things to do to her and she hated every min.)  Everything came back negative.  She was good to go after spending 5 hours of our night in that stupid, small room.  Only thing they said was to watch it, and if it got higher to come back.  Otherwise we were to wait till Friday (today) to call her docs if she had no change.

Tuesday came and went with not much of a change.  She slept all day and was only awake for 2.5 hrs of the day.  Long enough to eat twice.  Poor thing just wanted to sleep, so I let her.  Wednesday morning and the high temp had finally come down.  99 was a great number to see!  She made up for only eating twice the day before and was more tired than usual.  Whatever it was was leaving her system.  WRONG!  After picking Buggy up from school, I noticed a rash had started on her belly.  No big deal---maybe something agitated it.  MCO went down for a nap and woke up with a rash from head to toe.  She looked like a little infectious thing.  I felt so bad for her, and for me.  What was this all over her body?  Chicken pox?  No, it was Roseola.  It's a rash that is viral.  It comes to be after a high temp (the reason the ER docs couldn't find anything wrong) and can hang out for a couple of hours to several days.  It's pretty common in children and only infects children under the age of 4.  Needless to say I have contacted Buggy's school and we won't be going to church on Sunday.  We are quarantined until this silly thing passes.  I am happy to report that the rash is already clearing up.  I don't see it lasting more than a day or two more. 


  1. Poor little baby. :( How miserable to have a temp that high. I hope she's on the mend soon and on her way to feeling better.

  2. I'm just glad her temp came down. That is way scarier than the rash. Don't worry about infecting people. I'm sure you didn't, and even if you did, this is not a big deal kind of thing. In the grand scheme of kid sicknesses, this one is pretty mild. You are too hard on yourself! Hope she feels better soon!

    Oh, and another friend of mine's daughter has had a high fever for a day or so, so I told her about this so she can keep an eye on her little one. It would be so weird if she had it, too. Also would be some proof of you infecting the whole state, ha ha!