Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Prince, Princess, and Dragon

When will this story end?  It has been going on for weeks!  Let me explain.  We have Netflix and have been renting the various Disney movies for Buggy.  So far she's seen Aladdin, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty (her favorite), Ice Age, and Fox and the Hound.  She's into everything princess and toy story right now. 


I was unloading the dishwasher and we were talking about favorite colors.  She told me hers was pink and asked me what mine was.  I told her that I have two.  I really like orange and green.  She told me that I liked orange the best.  :)  Then she went on to tell me that she likes pink because it's a "girl" color, and orange was a "boy" color.  (Mind you, she'll only be 3 in a few weeks!)  I tried my best to explain that people can like any color they want to, that there are no "boy or girl" colors.  I gave a few examples of people that like colors that aren't stereotypical.  Anyway, in our house, for the last two weeks I have been a Princess.  Buggy is a prince, and daddy is a dragon.  It was fun for the first two days.  Now, I can't even talk to daddy without calling him dragon, or talk about him to other people unless I refer to him as dragon.  Buggy, excuse me, prince takes this very serious.  (I wonder if she continues this game at school, or if it stops at the doors.)  Before this she would pretend to be a mermaid or Sleeping Beauty, but just for a day.  We'd have to make sure to tell the mermaid (or who ever she was) good night and call her by that name.  We have never had the whole family be something for so long. 


I asked her last night after supper when I could be mommy again.  That I missed being mommy and I want daddy back too.  Buggy just looked at me like I was crazy.  She protested that I wasn't mommy and was in fact a princess.  But, that I could be mommy in the kitchen when I make supper. 


Has any of this happen to any of you?  What did you do?  I just want the "game" to end and be mommy, Buggy, and daddy again.  Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I really have no advice. I taught 5 year olds and 6 year olds and didn't have that issue. The boy is only 4 months, so obviously I've not encountered that with him either.

    Maybe just use a firm voice and tell her that you are mommy and daddy is daddy. If she argues, just be firm with her and let her know there is a time for pretend.

    I don't know if that will work though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I think she just wants someone to play with. Maybe the princess could pretend to be a mommy? Or just tell her no. Just tell her you are mommy right now and you will play with her later. Or just kind of ignore it and eventually she'll stop. I'm sure it's annoying and frustrating in some ways, but at the same time, she's using her imagination, which is a good thing. (Just wait, you can throw all my words back at me when it happens to me with my little girl!!)

    ReplyDelete